Make a perfect gluten free loaf every time, one that holds together, toasts well and goes well with avocado, scrambled eggs and bacon, raspberry jam and peanut butter, marmite and more. Follow the method, and be careful not to overprove the loaf; if the kitchen is very warm it may take very little time to nearly reach the top of tin. Avoid allowing the trapped gas to escape as bubbles begin to burst on top of the loaf, and you'll get good results without all the flour blending usually required for good gluten-free baking. NB; this bread mix is a great 'base' to which we sometimes add other flavours such as sage & apricot, mixed seeds, or olive. Get experimental!
275g of Shipton Mill Bread Mix
255g of warm water
1 level teaspoon of dried active yeast
¾ teaspoon salt
½ tbs olive oil
Please follow the below steps carefully. If you use the incorrect bread tin or don’t weigh the water it could go a bit wrong. You won’t be crying over spilt milk but you may be crying over some rather sad looking bread.
Use an Old Fashioned 1lb Bread Tin (a bread tin with low sides won’t work)
Oven temperature for baking is 180°C fan or 200°C no fan
· Put 275g of flour into a bowl
· Add 1 level teaspoon of GF dried yeast
· Add ¾ teaspoon of salt
· Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil
· Add 255g of warm water (remember you must weigh it)
· Beat the ingredients together for 3 minutes and transfer to the bread tin
· Prove under a cover until level with the top of the tin (now you see why it needed to be an old-fashioned one)
· Once it has reached the top of the tin, slash down the middle and spray with oil
· Bake in the oven for 50 minutes
· Leave to cool before slicing, no matter how great it smells!
Added by: ShiptonLou
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers