2 dl sourdough rye/wheat starter
4.5 dl water, 30°C
250 g Organic White Flour No.4
100 g Organic Dark Rye Flour
2 dl water, 40°C
500 ml dark beer, e.g. stout or porter
700 g Organic white flour No.4
300 g Organic Dark Rye flour
200 g Three malts and sunflower brown flour
160 g Swiss Dark flour
40 g Diastatic malted flour
30 g Cut Malted Rye grains
18 g sea salt
12 g ground ginger
7 g ground cloves
7 g ground bitter orange peel
50 g of rapeseed oil
200 g Barley Malt Extract
100 g Dark Bread Syrup (can be found in Swedish shops, e.g. Ocado)
- In the evening, mix the pre-culture and let it stand at room temperature overnight.
- Mix the pre-culture with ingredients for the main dough and mix by hand or in a dough mixer. I use an Ankarsrum assistant and mix at medium speed for 15 min.
- Prepare a big plastic bowl by coating it with rapeseed oil. Let the dough rise at room temperature in the bowl for 4-6 hours and overnight in the fridge.
- Take half of the dough and divide into two equally sized round breads and put on a baking sheet. Brush the top of the breads with a mix of strong coffee and dark bread syrup.
- Bake the breads at 250°C for 10 minutes with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven. Continue to bake at 220°C for 35 minutes without water.
- When they are done, let the breads cool down on a grating.