- 8 oz white spelt flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp bicarbinate of soda
- 1 1/2 oz butter
- 1 1/2 oz castor sugar
- 2 1/2 oz creme fraiche
- Pre heat oven to 220°C (Gas mark 7) and grease a baking tray.
- Sieve together the white spelt flour and the raising agents then add the sugar.
- Rub the butter into the flour and sugar with your fingertips until it forms light crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the creme fraiche. Gently mix into the dry ingredients with your hands to form a slightly loose (but not wet) dough.
- Knead VERY lightly for about a minute.
- Roll out to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut with 2 inch diameter cutter (makes about 6 scones).
- Place on prepared baking tray and brush with milk.
- Bake at 220°C for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, then serve with butter, jam and cream.