200g SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1. 50g golden sultanas + 50g golden caster sugar or
2. 50g caster sugar, or
3. 50g grated cheddar cheese + pinch of dried mustard powder.
1 egg + milk = 80ml
Preheat oven 220 / fan 210 c
1. Sieve flour, salt and baking powder, rub in fat.
2. Mix in sugar and sultanas, sugar or cheese.
3. Beat together egg and milk, mix in most of it wellwith a knife to give a soft, not sticky dough, reserve a little for brushing tops.
The dough should be just sticking together, not too sticky or dry, if needed add an extra tablespoon of milk
4. Knead gently on a floured surface, roll gently to no less than 2 cm thick.
5. Cut with scone cutter, or cut with knife into 8 wedges.
6. Place on greased baking tray, brush tops with remaining egg.
7.Bake 10 minutes in preheated hot oven 210 C. Cool on rack before splitting to butter.