1-2 tablespoons of starting leaven
110 g of rye wholemeal or bread flour
110 g spring water
For the dough
200 g baked finely grated potatoes (bake in a peel at 200 ° C until soft)
2 handfuls of broken walnuts
add variably a mixture of flax seeds, crushed, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame
250 g wheat bread flour
150 g spring water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
(1 teaspoon fennel)
1-2 tablespoons honey or cane molasses
1. Prepare the starter half a day before you are going to knead the dough. It's always morning for me. In a medium bowl, mix the leaven with water and rye flour. (1:1) (100g =100ml) Cover this bowl with foil and let it work at room temperature.
2. After about 12 to 16 hours, the starter should be ready for the next step. Please put it in a large bowl together with the remaining ingredients except for the nuts and process the dough. After a while of kneading, for about 10 minutes, you will have a firm, relatively fragile sticky dough, which, however, already peels off nicely from the walls of the bowl. Add the nuts, work them in the dough and cover the container with a cloth or foil. Let it rest for about 20-30 minutes.
3. Place the dough on a floured rolling pin and stretch it on a belt, which folds into thirds in the middle. Rotate it 90° and repeat stretching and folding. Stretch and fold a total of three times in this way. Cover the dough again and let it rest for an hour.
4. Repeat the winding and folding ritual, with the difference that after the last folding, shape a loaf of a round or longitudinal shape and place in a well-floured oat of the appropriate form or with a cloth-lined and floured bowl.
5. The leavening phase of sourdough bread takes longer, so for this reason, many people leaving it to rise in the fridge overnight. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. After removal, it will take 1-2 hours to reach room temperature and Dock. Or in a room temperature, it is going to take about 6-12 hours.
6. Meanwhile, at least half an hour in advance, heat the oven to 250 ° C. Place a baking tray on the bottom of the range so that the dough rises and the crust does not harden prematurely and in the middle position the baking sheet, which should also be hot. (A baking stone or cast iron pot is ideal.)
When the dough is ready, roll it on a hot plate, if you want, make cuts with a sharp knife. Pour three DCL of water into the baking tray at the bottom of the oven and close it quickly.
Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the power to 200 ° C and bake for another 35 minutes. You can follow the colour of the crust; if you are unsure, remove the bread and tap the bottom; it should sound hollow. After firing, allow cooling on the grill.
But there is also a variant of baking in a closed vessel, which replaces the irrigation of the oven. Ideally, heat-conducting containers such as a cast iron pot are ideal, but you can also use a ceramic or glass baking container with a lid. So you will even heat the oven with a bank and a top. When the dough is ready, quickly put it in the pool and cover it with a lid. Always try to ventilate the oven as little as possible. Bake with the top for the first 10 minutes, then remove the lid and reduce the power to 200 ° C. Bake in a beautiful golden crust for about 35 minutes.