110g soft unsalted butter at room temperature
85g brown sugar
3 tbsps mild honey or golden syrup
75g wholewheat flour
75g plain white flour
2 tsps powdered malt
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 175C (160C with fan).
- Beat together the butter, sugar and honey until well combined.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and then stir them into the butter mixture, little by little. Add up to a tablespoon of water if dough is too stiff to stir.
- Roll the dough by hand into 30 little balls, place them on a lined baking sheet and then press each one down to flatten.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until set. Let the cookies cool on a rack before serving. They will harden and become crispy when they cool down.
Thanks for this recipe go to Mia Kristensen of CPH Good Food in Denmark, and Anna Colquhoun, the Culinary Anthropologist in London, where we hold regular New Nordic cuisine classes and also various bread-making workshops, using Shipton Mill flour!