400g Irish soda coarse brown bread flour
12g Bicarbonate of soda
280g Buttermilk (if this not available use 160g natural yoghurt diluted with 120ml water)
1. Mix ingredients together really well using hands.
2. Turn dough out onto well-floured surface and bring together into a large round.
3. Divide dough into 800g/400g pieces.
4. Roll tops lightly in soda bread flour and place loaves onto floured baking tray.
5. Pat flat with palms to about 1" deep.
6. Cut a deep cross through loaves.
7. Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4 for 35-40 minutes.