- 300g Strong Plain White Flour
- 300g Wholemeal Flour,
- 150g Grated Extra Mature Cheddar
- Half a bunch of chives chopped finely
- Around 550ml buttermilk or milk soured with a squeeze of lemon plus a little extra for topping
- Finely grated parmesan for topping
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Mix dry ingredients thorougly with herbs & cheese
- Add milk slowly and mix lightly until ingredients just combined. (overworking will make the bread tough) It should be moist but not sloppy.
- When ingredients combined turn out onto a floured board and shape into a round about 2 cm thick.
- Sprinkle flour onto the top. Use a cutter to cut out scones of whatever size you like.
- Brush the top of the scones with milk and then sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or so in an oven that has been heated to 180 degrees.
My gran for the basic wheaten bread recipe. She used to bake it all the time when I was growing up in Belfast.