- 225g Strong White Flour
- large pinch of ground cinnamon
- large pinch of mixed spice
- pinch of salt
- 25g butter
- 2 tsps dried fast acting yeast
- 40g Caster sugar
- 125 ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- 175g mixed fruit
- 1 tbsp sugar (for glaze)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degreesC/350F/Gas mark 4
- Seive the flour, spices & salt into a bowl and rub in the butter.
- Add the yeast and caster sugar and mix well
- Beat the egg into the milk and add to the flour mixture
- Mix well and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Fold in the mixed fruit, cover and leave to double in size.
- Knock back and shape into a round loaf.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and leave to rise for another hour or so.
- Bake for around 45 minutes until golden.
- Glaze the top with the tbsp of sugar dissolved in 2 tbsps of boiling water and put back in the oven for a couple of minutes to allow the glaze to set.
- Cool on a wire tray.
Adapted from a Darina Allen recipe.