banner image

Welsh Honey & Oat Sourdough. (Pot Bread)


For 4 loaves @ 500g each

60g starter

1200g white flour

12g salt

12g honey

12g rolled oats

Water approx 800g

The starter is made using

10g flour

5g rolled oats

5g honey

30g water

The oats can absorb a lot of water so adjust until you have a nice smooth consistency. Then feed daily for 5 days until bubbling way.


Add the 60g of starter to your mixing bowl with approx 200g water (enough to dissolve the starter). This will leave you with 600g of water left.

Leave for 20 minutes

Add the salt & flour to it along with the rest of the water....gradually add the water as you may mave have too much...or not enough, so mix until you have the right dough texture. Not too wet...not too tight, just a nice pliable dough. You do not need to mix it too thoroughly at this point, a few lumps and bumps is just fine, they will work their way out over the next few steps.

Leave for 10 minutes.

Now, give it another mix and after a few minutes you should feel it come together to a proper dough consistency. Once you feel this then stop and leave it for 10 minutes.

This step should last no more that 10-20 seconds so grab the dough from the outside and fold it into the middle, work your way around anti clockwise in a circle and repeat till the dough tightens to a ball shape. Leave for 10 minutes.

Repeat the above step 3 more times, leaving for 10 minutes in between.

Cover and leave for 8 hours.

It will have grown in size, maybe doubled. Knock the air out of it and knead for a minute or so. Then divide in to 4 cuts of around 500g each.

Shape into nice tight round balls and drop into your lightly greased pot. I find if I turn the oven to 50 degrees and spray with water it makes an ideal proofing cabinet. Pop the pots into the oven until they are 1cm from the top.

Dust the top with rolled oats.

Ensure your oven is at 270° to help get that 'oven spring'

Pop the tins in the oven.

Lower temp to 230° once you have seen them 'pop up' - DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR! as the temp change can see them drop and go flat.

Bake for around 20 minutes or, if you have a probe, till they are 92°C

They should tap out of the tins really easily and once out place on a cooling rack.

Have fun making these and I'm here to answer any questions you may have.