Enjoy with a Mediterranean salad and some good cheese or pate and a glass of wine or Prosecco. This recipe is dairy-free, vegan, low GI, organic, wholegrain and soya-free.
Makes 1 large or 2 small loaves
500g Organic Wholemeal Spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp quick yeast
1 tsp light soft brown sugar
300ml warm water
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, quick yeast and sugar.
2. Make a well and add warm water, mixing roughly into flour mixture.
3. Working quickly, add oil into dough mixture and knead for up to 10 minutes or until smooth and pliable.
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film or a clean, damp tea towel and rest in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
5. Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead for another 3-4 minutes.
6. Shape the dough and place in either one oiled 2lb loaf tin or two 1lb loaf tins, or simply place on an oiled baking tray.
7. Cover with oiled cling film or a clean, damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for a further 25 minutes
8. Meanwhile set the oven temperature to 220C/200 fan/425F/Gas 7.
9. Bake dough in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. The bread should sound hollow when you tap the base.
10. Turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely (if you can wait that long!). Enjoy!
This recipe is suitable for quick bread. After step 3 omit 1st and 2nd rise and bake immediately in a preheated oven, if you are in a hurry.
A tbsp honey can be substituted for the sugar for a Roman-style loaf, if you are not vegan. Omit the sugar in step 1 and add the honey in step 3.
This recipe is equally yummy if you prefer to use 50% white spelt flour and 50% wholemeal spelt flour.
For a sweeter or more savoury loaf, add chopped nuts or dried fruit of your choice, chopped olives, sundried tomotoes, or gently fried, softened chopped onions at step 5. Simply work into your dough as you knead. For a pesto loaf, add a good dollop or two of pesto at step 3. Follow the rest of the recipe as it is written.