• 150 g dairy-free margarine
• 225 g caster sugar
• 150 g dairy-free plain yoghurt
• 2 lemons (zest and juice)
• 250 g Shipton Mill Soft Cake and Pastry Organic White Flour (117)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 50 g ground almonds
• 2 tbsp cornflour
Lemon drizzle syrup
• 75 g icing sugar
• 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (fan) / 340°F / Gas Mark 5. Grease and line a 2lb/1kg loaf tin.
2. In a food mixer or large bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the yoghurt and the grated zest of the 2 lemons, then beat again.
3. Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground almonds and cornflour and gently fold together until the mixture is just combined and no lumps remain. Finally, add in the juice of the 2 lemons, and stir.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Tap the tin firmly onto the work surface to remove bubbles. Place into the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until an inserted knife or skewer comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, make the lemon drizzle icing: Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, to remove lumps, then stir in the juice of half a lemon and mix well. It should be the consistency of a pouring syrup, not a thick icing. If the mixture is too thick add a little more lemon juice or water just a teaspoon at a time. Too runny? Add a little more sieved icing sugar.
6. When the cake is ready and taken out of the oven, leave it to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes. Then prick it all over with a cocktail stick, skewer or a fork, and slowly pour the drizzle syrup evenly over the cake. When cold, take the cake out of the tin and remove the lining paper. Slice and enjoy!
When cooled the cake can be frozen. You can also freeze it sliced – cut the cake and place the slices separately onto greaseproof or baking paper on a tray or plate. Place into the freezer and when frozen solid, pack the frozen slices back together into the loaf shape and put into a freezer-proof container or bag. Seal and return to the freezer. Don’t forget to label your bag or container with its contents!