1 tablespoon ground flaxseed.
1 tablespoon coconut oil.
250 ml koko milk , or almond milk.
1 teaspoon cider vinegar.
125 g spelt flour.
1 teaspoon golden caster sugar.
1 teaspoon baking powder.
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
- Whisk together the ground flaxseed and 2½ tablespoons of cold water, then set aside to thicken. Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a small pan over a medium heat, then leave to cool slightly.
- Combine the koko or almond milk and cider vinegar. Add the melted coconut oil, then whisk in the flaxseed mixture.
- Combine the spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, then make a well in the middle. Gradually pour in the wet mixture, stirring continuously until combined – don’t worry if there are still a few lumps. Fold in the blueberries, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to its lowest temperature. Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add a ladleful of the batter to the pan (one ladleful is enough for one pancake), then add more ladlefuls of the batter, ensuring they’re nicely spaced out – you’ll need to do this in batches.
- Cook for around 2 minutes, or until golden underneath and little bubbles start to appear on the surface, then use a palette knife to flip them over. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden. Place in the oven to keep warm while you make the remaining pancakes.