- 100g butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 75g black treacle (spoon in)
- 100g golden syrup (to make up to 175g of treacle/syrup)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 125g chopped crystallised ginger
- 25g finely grated fresh ginger
- Preheat the oven at 160Oc or gas mark 3. Grease and line a 20cm square
- Cream together the butter & sugar until the mixture is smooth.
- Place bowl with mixture on scales and zero it.
- Spoon in the treacle, add the golden syrup up to 175g (total) and mix.
- Gradually add in the eggs a little at a time until fully mixed.
- Sift together the ground ginger and flour and gradually add to the mixture.
- Stir in the crystallised and fresh ginger.
- Transfer the mixture into the lined tin, smooth the top and bake for 50 minutes. Check cake is cooked by inserting a toothpick which should be clean, if not cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- When the cake is cooked leave to cool in the tin and then remove.