Makes 3 medium loaves
1kg Wholemeal Organic Stoneground Flour
2tsp Fine sea salt
40g fresh yeast – about the size of large walnut
1 tbsp raw cane sugar
1 tbsp Sunflower oil
700ml Warm water
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in about a third of the water. Whilst this is left in the warmth of the kitchen to froth up for about 10 minutes, mix the flour and sea salt well
- In a large bowl add the yeasty liquid to the flour, then the oil and then gradually pour in all the remaining water. Bring together, tip out onto a floured work surface and then knead well for 10 minutes, till soft and silky.
- Leave to stand in the bowl covered with cling film or a clean damp cloth for about 35-40 minutes –
- Set your oven to preheat: 210C or Gas Mark 6
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces, gently knead out (knock back) the air and place in warmed well oiled tins or pots. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to prove in a warm draught free spot until doubled in size (about 45 minutes)
- Bake in the ore-heated oven for 40 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack and tap the bottom. A hollow sound means the bread is baked. If not, turn upside down and bake for a while longer.
- Leave for 1 hour to cool before tasting……!