For the cake
3 Large Eggs
125g caster sugar
115g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the topping
100g caster sugar
2 tsp plain flour
85g flaked almonds
1 tbsp double cream
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line and grease a 20cm springform cake tin.
2. Begin making the cake. Beat eggs and sugar together, then add the cooled melted butter and vanilla. Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. Scrape into the prepared tin. Cut plums in half and remove stones. Arrange plum halves skins side down and sprinkle with sugar (depending on sweetness of plums).
3. Place cake in preheated oven for 40 mins, or until the cake is golden.
4. Begin making the topping while the cake bakes. Melt the butter in a small saucepan then stir in the sugar, flour, almond flakes and cream and cook for 3 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling, stirring occasionally. Topping should just start to darken in colour.
5. When cake is cooked, remove the cake from the oven, turn the temperature up to 200°C and pour the topping over the cake, spreading it to the edges. Bake for a futher 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before removing from the tin.
6. Enjoy! (And apologies for the terrible photo of a last slice, this cake is delicious and does not hang around!)