This is an oven baked recipe and trust me you won't be disappointed. If you like a slightly seeded tasted bread, then this is for you.
It works both with sunflower seeds or just pumpkin seeds - just be sure to double the amount used if only opting for one of the seeds.
1. 500g Shipton Mill Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
2. 1 Teaspoon Coconut Palm sugar (or alternative)
3. 350ml tepid water (this is key)
4. 1 Teaspoon Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
5. 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
6. 1/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
7. 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil (optional)
8. Oil for glass loaf dish
- Add the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and seeds into a large bowl and mix them together.
- Pour in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the oil (optional).
- Mix all the ingredients together by hand to form a dough and knead for 5-10 minutes dusting the surface lightly with more Shipton Mill Wholemeal Spelt flour, until a lovely smooth dough is formed.
- Cover the dough bowl with a large tea towel and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, and this will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin.
- Knead the dough for another 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough and put it into your prepared tin.
- Cover the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- In the interim pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the tea towel and bake the loaf for 40-45 minutes.
- Turn the bread out of the tin, tap the base and if it sounds hollow the bread is cooked.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Temperature: 220˚C, fan 200˚C, 425˚F, Gas 7
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
Enjoy and let me know how it tastes! :-)