100g chicken fillet
1 small onion ( chopped)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 small potato ( diced)
2 tabsp. baked beans in tomato sauce
½ tabsp cooking oil
Salt and pepper
For the pastry:
8 oz. Stone-ground 100%Wholemeal flour
2 oz. Margarine
2 oz. Lard
1 pinch of salt beaten egg
1) Put flour in a mixer. Add in salt, margarine and lard.
2) Switch the mixer on until the flour mixture resemble fine breadcrumbs. Add cold water a little at a time until a soft dough is formed. Cover the pastry dough and chill in the fridge for an hour.
3) Cut the chicken into short strips.
4) Heat the oil in a pan. Fry onion, curry powder and potato lightly. Add chicken and 2 tablespoonful of water and simmer till the potato is soft.
5) Add the baked beans. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Leave the chicken filling to cool.
6) Roll out the pastry to 1/2cm thick. Cut into 12cm. circles.
7) Place 2 tablespoonful of chicken filling in each circle of pastry. Moisten the edge of the circle. Fold the pastry into half and seal the edges. Use a skewer to make a hold on each pasty to allow the steam to escape. Glaze with beaten egg.
8) Bake the pasties in an oven gas mark 6 or 200C for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
9) Serve the pasty hot with a green leaves salad or cold as packed lunch.