150g white spelt flour
150g wholemeal spelt flour
20g baking powder
20g finely grated Parmesan or gran padano
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley or chives
20g cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top of scones
- Sieve the flours along with the baking powder, mustard powder, cayenne and salt.
- Rub in the butter until looks like fine breadcrumbs
- Add the finely grated Parmesan and the finely chopped parsley or chives. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Add the buttermilk and mix to a soft dough but be careful not to over mix.
- Lightly roll out to about 1cm thickness for a nice chunky scone and cut into rounds.
- Lightly brush tops of the scones with milk and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Place on a non stick baking tray or lightly flour the tray before cooking.
- Bake in oven for approx 12 to 15 minutes fan assisted oven 180°C, or 190°C, or Gas Mark 5
- Best served warm with lots of butter