Ingredients - makes 2 800g loaves
White Spelt flour 500g
Organic Wholemeal flour 500g
Sea Salt 16g
Fresh Yeast 20g
Clear Honey 15g
Walnuts halved or chopped 100-150g
- Mix flours together in a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl mix the Yeast and Honey to a paste then add about a tablespoon of the mixed flour and 100mls of the water to it and mix. Leave to ferment for 30-60mins.
- Add the mixture to the flours and add the salt and the remaining water, knead for about 10 mins to a smooth elastic dough. Finally add the walnuts to taste and mix carefully in.
- Shape into a round, then cover and leave for 1 1/2 hours, or until fully risen.
- Remove from the bowl, divide into two, and shape into loaves.
- Leave for final proof and then slash tops before baking in a hot oven 220c for 30-35 mins (reduce heat to 200 after 10 mins.
Fruit and or seeds could be substituted for the walnuts if preferred.
Original recipe from the Telegraph