315g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
56g granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
84g cold unsalted butter, cut into 1" chunks
4oz / 120ml buttermilk, plus more for brushing
4oz / 120ml sourdough discard (100% hydration)
Demerara Sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F / 190C / 170C fan and line two baking pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- Toss in butter chunks, rub in the butter until the pieces of butter are about the size of a peas
- Whisk together buttermilk, sourdough discard and egg. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix until just barely combined, it is important not to over mix.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and finish kneading by hand just until any loose flour is absorbed. Use your hands to pat the dough until it is 3/4" thick. Use a 2.5"-3" biscuit cutter to cut scones. Re-roll remaining dough and continue until all the dough is used.
- Line the scones onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1" space between. Brush the tops of the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with Demerara or granulated sugar (sugar optional)
- Arrange oven racks in the upper and lower third of the oven, swapping and rotating the trays after 10 minutes (total baking time 15-20 minutes).
- The scones are ready when they are golden brown and sound hollow when the bottom is tapped.
The receipe yeilds about 9 scones