280g bread flour
35g Spelt flour
7 g salt
75g active starter (100% hydration)
35g pumpkin seeds
1. Mix all the flour with 218g of water (out of the 273g of water, keep the remaining water aside), mix well in a bowl.
2. Autolyse for one hour.
3. After the one hour, add in the all the active starter, mix well.
4. Add in salt and the remaining water of 55g slowly in a few rounds while folding the flour well by turning the bowl anti clockwise. Keep folding the dough inwards to the centre of the dough until you cannot feel the salt in the dough.
5. Transfer dough to another bowl applied with a little olive oil. Cover and wait for 30 minutes.
6. Do a stretch & fold every 30 minutes apart for 3 times.
7. At the third stretch & fold, turn the dough out onto the counter and spread the pumpkin seeds all over. Fold the bread and put it back into the oiled bowl.
8. After that wait out for one and a half hours undisturbed.
9. Empty the dough out onto the counter and gather the dough into a round and leave it there for 30 minutes for a bench rest.
10. Next, do a final shape and put dough into a banneton and let it ferment for 12 to 14 hours in the fridge.
11. Put the cast iron into the oven and heat it to 250C.
12. Then turn the bread out onto the Dutch oven/cast iron and score the bread.
13. Bake at 250C in a Dutch oven covered for 20 minutes. Then uncover and now bake it at 220C for another 10 to 15 minutes depending on the oven’s heat.
14. Cool the bread on a rack.
15. Only cut the bread when it is completely cooled.
Recipe by Florence Fok