1 cup ‘fed’ sourdough starter
1/4 cup oil
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup honey OR ¼ cup water + ¾-1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups apples, peeled cored and diced
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (OPTIONAL)
1/3 cup oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan (or an 8 or 9-inch square pan).
2. Place starter in a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients for the cake and stir gently until well blended.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Mix all topping ingredients in a small bowl until they form crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over top of cake.
5. Cook in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.