50g oat bran
50g porridge oats
80g mixed seeds (from sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, linsead, poppy, nigella, caraway to suit your taste)
2 tsp (runny) honey
425 ml warm water
7g fast action dried yeast
450g Shiptons strong white bread flour
50g of one of Shiptons light rye/dark rye/spelt/wholemeal flour (to suit your taste, making a total of 500g of flour)
Large loaf tin, oiled and floured
- Put oat bran, porridge oats, mixed seeds and salt into a small mixing bowl and pour over 100ml of the lukewarm water. Mix, cover and soak for 1 hour.
- Add various flours to large mixing bowl and mix in the dried yeast. Form a well in the centre and pour in the honey and remaining 325ml of water. Mix into a ball, adding a little more flour or water as necessary to get a smooth ball of dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured worktop for 5 to 10 mins until dough feels smoother.
- Return dough to large mixing bowl and add the soaked ingredients (from step 1). Mix them together well.
- Tip out the seeded dough onto a floured surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put the dough into a large oiled bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to double in size (1 hour in a warm cupboard or 1 to 2 hours in the kitchen depending on temperature).
- Knock back dough to deflate and tip onto a floured worktop. Gently knead for 1 min, then shape to fit into the loaf tin.
- Cover the tin loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave to prove until doubled in size (1 to 2 hours).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 230 degC (210 degC fan) for 15 mins, then reduce temperature to 200 degC (180 degC fan) for 15 to 20 mins until well browned.