(Makes 6 small tarts, or one large tart / traybake)
For the spelt pastry base:
100g white spelt flour
100g wholemeal (or use just spelt flour)
125g coconut oil
250g other fruit - eg rhubarb, plums or apples cut into small pieces
Zest of 1 lemon
a couple of tablespoons of water
2 teaspoons of cornflour to thicken
For the topping
5 egg whites
180g desiccated coconut
To make the base
1. Melt the coconut oil in a large pan / in the microwave and then add the flour(s) to it, stir until it is combined and then press into the tart cases.
2. Bake at 180 degrees for 15 mins (or 20 mins if doing a large tart).
3. Allow to cool fully.
To make the filling
1. Gently heat the fruit together with the sugar, lemon zest and a couple of tablespoons of water until it is softened (approx 10minutes).
2. If there is extra water add the cornflour (mixing with a little water first to make a smooth paste). Whether you need to do this will depend on the water content of your fruit) the mixture should be a jammy like consistency.
3. Allow to cool whilst you make the topping.
To make the topping
1. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then spoon in the sugar, continuing to whisk until they form stiff peaks.
2. Fold in the desiccated coconut being careful to keep the air in the mixture.
1. Spoon the fruit 'jam' over the base, then top with the airy coconut mixture.
2. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is starting to turn golden brown.
3. Allow to cool before removing from the tart cases.
Special thanks to the team at Seasoned Cookery School for creating this recipe for us, to see what else they do and all the courses they have on offer visit their website.