350g self-raising flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g butter, cut into pieces
squeeze lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp caster sugar
beaten egg to glaze
jam and cream to serve
1. Heat the oven to 220C for fan oven or gas 7.
2. Put 350g flour into a large bowl with salt and baking powder. Mix together.
3. Add butter cubes and rub together in your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then stir in the caster sugar.
4. Put 175ml milk in a container and warm slightly in the microwave (approx 30 secs). Do not make it hot.
5. Add vanilla extract and lemon juice to the milk and stir.
6. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the contents of the jug. Mix well with a cutlery knife. It will look quite wet to begin with.
7. Bring the mixture together with your hands and turn out on to a floured surface. Try not to handle the mixture too much.
8. Roll it out to approx depth of 4cm. Depending on the size of cutter chosen, you should get 6-8 scones from this.
9. Place onto a baking sheet, covered in greaseproof paper. Brush the top of each one with the beaten milk (or you can use milk).
10. Bake in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
11. Leave to cool and enjoy with the jam and cream. They are best eaten the same day.
NOTE: My photo was a large batch cook where the quantities were doubled and I used a large cutter!