• 115g unsalted butter, diced and chilled, plus extra for the tin
• 225g plain flour/ 2 tsp baking powder or 225g self-raising flour
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 115g light brown sugar
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 6-8 tbsp milk
• 300g pears, peeled, cored and diced
• 2 tbsp demerara sugar
• Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line a deep 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
• Mix the flour and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour using your fingers. Stir in the light brown sugar. Beat in the egg followed by 6-8 tbsp of milk – add it gradually until you have a smooth, thick batter.
• Add the diced pear and mix to combine. Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and gently level out. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar, if using, and bake for 30-40 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
• Allow to cool in the tin for 15 mins and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool further.