• 1 cup milk
• ½ to 1 cup warm water
• 3 Tablespoons Butter
• 4 cups of Type 00 General Purpose Flour
• 1 cup Rye Flour (this can be replaced by another flour of your choice).
• 1 Sachet of Instant yeast
• Desert spoon Sugar
• 1 eggs
• Sesame seeds for topping
1. Warm the milk and butter to body temperature ( in a microwave or saucepan)
2. Place dry ingredients into a mixing bowl or a food mixer with a dough hook.
3. Mix dry ingredients well and then stir in the milk and butter mixture as well as the beaten egg.
4. Continue to stir with a wooden spoon by hand or in the food mixer until the mixture starts to form into a solid mass. Then, add the water until the mixture forms a soft pliable dough. Adjust consistency with a little more water or flour as required. Make sure the dough is not too sticky at this stage.
5. Knead the dough by hand or in the mixer until a sample piece of the dough can be stretched without holes appearing. This usually takes 10 -15 mins by hand.
6. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 8 pieces for large, 12 for medium and 16 for small buns or rolls.
7. Shape and Place onto a flat tray covered in greaseproof parchment, (see kneading and shaping techniques on YouTube).
8. Wet the tops of the buns/rolls and sprinkle on sesame seeds.
9. Cover gently with clingfilm and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 mins. Lift the clingfilm from time to time to stop it sticking to the buns.
10. Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
11. When the loaves have risen and the over Is at the correct temperature place the bread on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 15 – 20 mins.
12. Also place a shallow tray, with the base just covered with water at the bottom of the oven immediately before putting the bread in the oven.
13. When done the buns should sound hollow when they are tapped on the top and bottom. Return them to the oven if they are not.
14. Finally remove and place on cooling tray.