- 200ml Water
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 50g Butter
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 500g White Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Yeast
- Sesame seeds, Poppy seeds, Semolina or other sprinkles of your choice
- If you're feeling particularly lazy put all the ingredients (except the sprinkles) in a breadmaker and choose the "dough" programme which will knead and do the first rise for you then jump to step 3 (if you're doing this overnight for rolls the next morning make sure the yeast stays dry on the top until the timer kicks in).
- If you don't have a breadmaker mix everything (except the sprinkles) by hand and knead for 10-15 mins until nice and stretchy then leave in a covered bowl for about 1 hour until doubled in size.
- After the first rise cut your dough into 12 roughly equal size lumps, shape into balls then flatten so they're roughly the size and shape of a burger.
- Place rolls on 2 lined trays and cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to prove a second time for about 45 mins until they have about doubled again (make sure the cling film is loose otherwise it will stop them growing).
- Brush the tops with a little milk and sprinkle on your choice of topping.
- Bake for about 12 mins at 200C (rolls should sound hollow when done, if you're not sure then longer is usually better than shorter).