Just the ticket to serve alongside Christmas meals, make filled rolls with leftovers or dip into hearty soups!
You Will Need:
10g Dried yeast
325ml (11 fl oz) water
500g (1lb) Strong white flour
1 ½ tsp Salt
100g Dried Cranberries
150g Stilton Blue / Danish blue
2Tbsp Olive oil
1 egg beaten to glaze (or dust with Semolina)
Method (By Hand)
- Sprinkle the yeast into 100ml (3 ½) oz of the water in a bowl. Leave for 5 minutes; stir to dissolve. Mix the flour and salt, cranberries together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeasted water.
- Use a spoon to draw enough of the flour into the yeasted water to form a soft paste. Cover the bowl with a plastic bag and leave the paste to “sponge” until frothy, loose, and slightly risen, about 20 minutes.
- Pour in the water as needed mix in the flour from the side of the bowl with your finger tips. Mix together to form firm moist dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured work top. Knead until smooth, shiny, and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a clean bowl and place the bowl into a plastic bag and tie the handles together. Leave to rise until doubled in size, about 2-2 ½ hours. Knock back, and then leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the bread dough into 9 - 4oz-5oz pieces. Place some of the stilton in the middle of each piece of dough and then shape into smooth, round rolls. Place on a floured baking sheet and then place into a plastic bag and tie the handles together.
- Prove until doubled in size, about 30- 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220oC/ 425oF/gas 7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until hollow- sounding when tapped the underneath. Leave to cool on a wired rack.