7½ oz Shipton Mill organic white self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
3½ oz butter (cubed)
3½ oz golden syrup
3½ oz black treacle
3½ oz light muscovado sugar
9fl oz fresh milk
1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sieve all dry ingredients, except the sugar, into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Pour the treacle and syrup into a pan and melt over a low heat. Leave to cool to blood temperature.
- Dissolve the sugar in the milk over a low heat.
- Beat the sweetened milk into the flour mixture before adding the syrup, followed by the egg. Continue to mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture is like a thin batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin and storing in an airtight container.
If you decide to top with icing, combine icing sugar and lemon juice to produce desired consistency and spread over the cake.