Makes one medium size loaf
100 g light rye flour (601)
100g dark rye flour (603)
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp (7 g) salt
25 g butter
50 g mixed seeds (401)
50 g rye and barley flakes (porridge oats can be substituted )
250 g natural yojurt / 125 g whole milk = total liquid 375 g
Squirt of honey
Oven set @ 220 c with baking stone if possible, if not baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
1. Sift flours into bowl and include husk, add bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix together by hand.
2. Rub butter into flour mix to give crumb texture then add seed and flakes, mix well by hand.
3. In separate bowl combine the yoghurt and milk, add to flour mixture and add squirt of honey.
4. Work mixture together to give soft, slightly sticky dough, do not over work.
5. Remove from bowl to a lightly floured surface and shape into a flatish ball with relatively smooth surface.
6. Place on floured peel,baking stone or floured baking sheet.
7. With a large sharp kitchen knife cut a deep cross into the top, lightly dust loaf with flour.
8. Ensure oven temperature is 220 c, place loaf into oven and bake for 30/35 minutes till golden brown.
9. Check bake after 20/25 minutes to ensure even baking.
10. When baking complete remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
This soda bread will slice / cut well and is delicious toasted with lashings of butter for breakfast, or alternately chunky cut to mop up hearty home made soup.