Just back from a holiday in the Scottish Highlands and really enjoyed the shortbread we ate there. The secret seems to be to use cornflour. So here's my recipe:
125g plain flour
100g slightly salted butter at room temperature
50g caster sugar
- Measure the flours and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Cube the butter and add to the other ingredients.
- Rub all of the ingredients together and once they form a good dough place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out to just under 1cm thickness and cut into shapes.
- Place on a buttered baking sheet and prick with a fork.
- Bake in the oven at 150°C for around 20minutes or until they become slightly golden in colour.
- Let them cool on a rack for a while and then store in a good biscuit barrel.