As this is a batter you can't free form the rolls. Individual pie cases / tins work brilliantly. I use ones that are 10 cm diameter and 3 cm high but any size around that will work fine just make sure they are high enough to contain the dough as it rises. This mix is enough for 10 rolls. If you're not going to eat that many in a few days, just halve the amount.
500g Shipton Mill Gluten Free White Bread Flour
510g Warm Water
1 sachet of Bioreal Gluten Free Organic DRIED Yeast (9g)
1 heaped Tbls Honey
2 tsp Coconut Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbls melted Coconut oil or Olive oil
1 Tbls pureed Apple (I use cooking apples, peel and core, puree them raw in a blender, freeze in ice cube trays and just take out what I need when I need it, making sure it has defrosted before adding to mix)
- Pre heat the oven to 180-190 ⁰C and put an empty clean metal baking tray in the bottom of the oven.
- Add the Yeast and Honey to the warm water, leave to dissolve. It will be done by the time you’ve got the other items ready.
- Add all ingredients to your mixer. Whisk on medium for 5 minutes until there are no lumps in the mix. After a minute scrap down the sides of your mixer bowl to ensure there aren't any bits of flour or you will have hard lumps in your rolls. Your 'dough' will have the consistency of a batter mix.
- Whilst the whisking is going on, grease or spray your pie containers. I put all the containers into a large grill pan just to keep them together.
- Spoon your dough into the containers. Each container will take approximately 108 g of dough.
- Cover with cling film or something similar and leave in a warm place to prove. It will take approx 30 - 45 mins to rise by a 1/3 depending on the temperature. Don't leave it to rise more than a 1/3 or they won't turn out correctly.
- When the rolls are ready to go in the oven, remove the cling film and get a cup of boiling water ready.
- Put the tray of roll containers into the oven and instantly but gently pour the boiling water into the tray at the bottom of the oven and quickly but gently shut the oven door to keep in the steam.
- Bake for 35 mins. If you tap the bottom of a roll and it sounds hollow, it's done. Leave them to cool on a wire rack. Gluten Free baking continues to set whilst it’s cooling so don’t cut whilst they’re still hot.
As with all gluten free baking, best eaten within 3 days but freshen up fine if wrapped in clingfilm and put in microwave for a few seconds.