225 g Butter, softened
225 g Sugar (or non-sugar substitute)
265 g Shipton Mill Gluten Free flour blend
4 tsps Baking Powder
4 Tbls Milk
finely grated zest of 2 Lemons
175 g Sugar
juice of 2 Lemons
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
- Line and grease a 30 x 23 x 4 cm (12 x 9 x 1 ½ inches) baking tin. Have the greaseproof paper coming over the edge of the tin on a couple of sides to make it easier to remove the tray bake later on.
- Cream the Sugar, Butter and Lemon zest.
- Add the rest of the sponge ingredients. Mix until combined and the batter is smooth.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the tray bake springs back when pressed lightly with a finger and is beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- Allow the tray bake to cool a bit in the tin whilst you make the crunchy topping.
- Make the Crunchy Topping by mixing the Lemon juice and Sugar in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Prick the sponge all over the top and spoon the topping evenly over the tray bake whilst it is still just warm and still in the tin.
- Leave to cool and then remove from the tin.