Makes 10 - 12
50g unsalted butter
1 small white onion, finely diced
150g gluten free plain flour
50g dry polenta or dosa flour
½ tsp sea salt (fine)
pinch cayenne pepper
1tsp smoked paprika (optional)
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum or psylium husk
100g mature cheddar, grated
250ml whole milk
Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4 & line muffin tins
1. In a saucepan melt the butter & cook onion at low heat for 5 mins or so until soft, translucent & beginning to colour.
2. Place flour, polenta, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt & seasonings in mixing bowl & mix together.
3. Make well in centre & crack eggs into it, begin to mix, stir in milk followed by the butter & onion mixture.
4. Finally add the grated cheese, keeping a little back for topping. Mix well but don’t overdo.
5. Divide the mix between 12 muffin tins, smooth tops with wet knife & sprinkle remaining cheese over.
6. Bake for approx. 20 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool for 5 mins then transfer to wire rack. These freeze really well & are lovely hot or cold. Beware they do tend to stick to muffin cases because of the cheese content, I am still looking for a remedy for this!