INGREDIENTS (yes there is a lot of them but I make my bread flour blend in bulk and take what I need. I've tried to tweak commercial flour blends to match mine but none do).
115 g Cornflour
65 g Tapioca Starch
90 g Potato Starch
40 g Teff (I prefer Brown but White works too)
25 g Sorghum
20 g Buckwheat
5 g Baking Powder
5 g Xanthan Gum
5 g Guar Gum
5 g Salt
1/4 tsp flavouring (optional but I like to add something along the lines of Cinnamon or Pumpkin pie spice mix)
50 g Ground Almonds (I prefer mine finer than I buy so just pop them in a spice grinder for a few seconds)
400g Tepid Water
11 g Bioreal Organic Active Yeast
1 tsp Honey (optional, helps to give a good colour to your loaf)
50g Apple Puree (I peel and core any Apples when I have them, pop into the food processor until pureed and freeze in batches until needed)
1 large Chia egg (4 tsp ground chia seeds mixed with 12 tsp tepid water and left for 10 mins to gel. Note, not 4 tsp of Chia seeds ground but 4 tsp of ground)
2 tsp Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 lb ceramic loaf tin
- Put Water, Honey and Apple into your mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the Yeast which will sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Mix all your dry ingredients together.
- When Yeast starts to float, turn on mixure and add flour blend.
- Then add Chia Egg, Cider Vinegar and Olive Oil.
- Mix for 10 mins on a low to medium power (Nr 3) using a paddle, not a dough hook, until well combined and no lumps. This is a thick batter / slack dough.
- Cover bowl and leave to proove, to double in volume, approx 30/60 mins.
- Mix gently to knock out most of the air. (Sounds illogical but it works to even out the air bubbles during baking so you don’t get big holes)
- Grease loaf tin and pour in the mix.
- Cover and put somewhere warm to prove. I use a plastic shoe box at the moment and just leave on the kitchen counter.
- Leave to proove for approx 30 mins to double in size.
- Pre heat your oven to 180 deg C and place an old baking tray at the bottom of the oven.
- When the dough has doubled, score across the top of the loaf, put into the oven, pour a good cup of boiling water into the old baking tray and bake for 47 mins.
When cooked remove from tin and put on a wire rack to cool completely.