- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 325g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp groun cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 egg white
- 200g confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Melt butter, sugar and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat. Then set aside to cool.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to cooled butter mixture (mixture will be crumbly, but hold together).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to 5mm thickness. Use cookie cutters to shape biscuits. (It may be eaiser to remove excess than to shift the cookies).
- Bake in prehead oven for 10-12 minutes until light golden brown. Meanwhile, make royal icing by beating eggwhites until soft peaks, then adding confectioners sugar until glossy and fully combined.
- Remove biscuits and pipe with icing.