200g stoned dried dates
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
240ml boiling water
140g light muscovado sugar
280g Shipton Mill White Spelt Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp ground mixed spice
pinch of salt
115g walnuts, chopped
- Place dates in a bowl with butter and bicarbonate of soda. Add boiling water and stir until butter has melted. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Place sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat well to combine. Add cooled date mixture, then sifted flour, baking powder, mixed spice, and salt. Add walnuts stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake for 60-90 minutes or until the cake is well risen and nicely browned or a a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Suitable for freezing.