Here are the ingredients and the easy to follow steps to make the best coffee cake ever!
• 200 g Cake and Pastry flour, sifted
• 1 ½ tablespoon Instant coffee granules (can use decaffeinated)
• 80 g caster sugar
• 80 g light brown sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 200 g unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
Coffee buttercream ingredients
• 125 g quality butter
• 250 g Icing sugar
• 1 tablespoon dissolved coffee and in room temperature (Dissolve coffee with the same amount of water)
• 1 cup Milk
• Chopped walnut
1. Preheat the oven at 180C/375F or 160C/320F (fan oven). Line the base of the baking pan(s) with parchment paper
2. Add 1 tablespoon of coffee granules into a small bowl, dissolve with hot water, and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy for about 3 to 5 minutes with a hand/stand mixer
4. Break the eggs and add it to the fluffy butter and sugar mix and beat until combined.
5. Add sifted flour, baking powder and mix on low speed until combined. Lastly, fold in the melted coffee and mix to combine.
6. Divide the cake batter equally in the prepared cake pans and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean.
7. Take the cake out of the oven, and leave it in the pan for about 5 minutes and then turn it onto a cooling rack to cool completely
Making the coffee buttercream
• In a dry and moist free mixing bowl, beat the butter for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy
• Add the icing sugar, to the whipped butter a little at a time (to avoid the icing sugar splattering) and beat until combined.
• Add the coffee mixture and milk and continue to mix until the buttercream becomes fluffy and smooth.
Assembling the cake
• When the cake is completely cooled, divide the buttercream into two portions, sandwich half with the cake, and add the remaining on top of the cake
• Add some crushed walnut to the crunchy taste, and of course to decorate it!.