Keeps for: 3+ days (refrigerated, in an airtight container)
Total time (start to finish): approx 70 minutes (40 minutes prepration, 30 minutes baking)
- 3 medium apples
- 300g millet flour
- 900ml water
- 45g carob powder
- 500g frozen cherries
- Wash, core and chop apples into small pieces.
- Place in a small saucepan, with sufficient water to prevent sticking.
- Place on hob and cook covered on a medium heat until apple sauce consistency is reached.
- Whilst the apple sauce cookes, add millet flour to a large (c. 2.5 litre) saucepan.
- Add water slowly whilst stirring continuously.
- Place on hob on a high heat, stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat as mixture thickens, to avoid sticking to base of pan and spitting (do not worry about lumps forming in the mixture whilst stirring - these are the cookie dough pieces within the final bake).
- Once mixture has thickened, cook on low heat, stirring frequently (continuous stirring is no longer required).
- Cook millet for a total of 30 minutes from cold.
- Add apple sauce and carob powder to millet, and stir thoroughly.
- Place cherries in base of large casserole dish.
- Transfer millet mixture to large casserole dish and stir through the cherries.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 175C / 350F for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
- Use an alternative flour (or flour combination) of your choice.
- Replace cherries with any fruit of your choice.
- To boost nutrition, add a tablespoon of superfood powder (e.g. Maca, Baobab, Lucuma, etc)