- 285g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 110g butter plus extra for greasing
- 225g light brown sugar
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 85ml milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, sunflower seeds and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs, mashed bananas, milk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture.
- Grease a 8in x 5in loaf tin and pour the cake mixture into the tin.
- Put in the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.