Yield: 20 rolls (approx.)
Drop Weight: 100g
Shipton Mill Flour (T55) 375
Shipton Mill Flour (T55) 850
- Mix all ingredients for the Sponge in a bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave at ambient for 12-16 hours or overnight.
- After fermentation, Sponge should be active and bubbly
- Place all remaining ingredients with Sponge into a mixer and mix on 1st speed for 4 mins or until fully combined
- Leave to rest for about 15 mins
- Mix on 2nd speed for 6-7 mins or until dough is smooth and extensible
- Remove dough from mixer and place in a lightly floured tub. Cover and ferment for 2 hours, and apply a fold half way through the ferment
- Lighty flour your work space and place dough onto table. Scale at 100g using a measuring scale and shape into boules, placing each roll onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Repeat until all dough is used and make sure rolls are placed with space in between to allow for exapnsion and rise during the prove
- Lightly and evenly flour rolls and cover to make sure rolls don't dry out. Leave to prove at ambient for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Brush rolls with water or eggwash and sprinkle generously with poppy seeds* Leave to rise for another half hour. Using a lame or a sharp knife, score a line across the surface of the roll (this will allow air to escape in the oven n a controlled way, without creating a blind burst)
- Place trays into a oven preheated at 230C and bake for 20-25 mins
- Remove rolls from oven using oven gloves and, keeping the rolls on the parchment paper, place on a cooling rack. This allows air to circulate around the rolls as they cool, thus ensuring there is no sogginess.
* can be dressed with sesamee seeds or kept plain with a dusting of flour