1. 500g. Mixed dried fruit
2. 1 cup (200ml.) water
3. 1 cup (200g.) granulated sugar
4. 1 rounded teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
5. 100g. butter
6. 1 cup (125 g.) Shipton Mill plain flour
7. 1 cup (125g. Shipton Mill Self Raising flour
8. 1 rounded teaspoon of mixed spice (Optional)
9. 2 medium eggs
Oven temperature 160C (140C fan)
Put ingredients 1 - 5 in a saucepan, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool until cold.
Sieve the two flours and mixed spice (if using) into the mixture and stir until well mixed.
Stir the eggs into the mixture until evenly combined.
Spoon into a lined 8 inch tin and bake at 160C (140 fan) for two hours - or until a knife comes out just clean.