4oz butter / or other fat
4oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1 oz porridge oats (and a few more for coating)
2tsp lemon juice
1. Cream together 4 oz of butter or other fat (the original recipe has 3oz vegetable lard / 10z butter) with 2 oz caster sugar.
2. Mix 4 oz plain flour with 1tsp baking powder and 1 oz porridge oats
3. To the butter mixture Add 1/2 egg, 2tsp lemon juice, the flour and the oats.
4. Knead to a firm mixture.
5. Roll into large walnut size balls
6. Roll in a few oats (kids enjoy this bit!)
7. place on a greased baking tray and press down in the centre lightly popping a cherry on the top.
8. Bake at 180 conventional oven (160 fan) 15-20 mins until pale broan
9. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
You can brush them with lemon water icing after if you want extra sweetness / tang.