500 g Strong White Flour, Shipton Mill Organic is just right
20g Fresh Yeast
7 g Salt
80g soft Welsh Butter
50g light brown caster sugar
2 good tea spoons of mixed spice
350g of dried fruit. Dried Cranberries and raisins work well together, but whatever you fancy. Apricots are ok, but makes a very moist loaf.
1 large Egg
225 ml of luke warm strong tea
- Make a flying sponge with 150g of flour and the yeast, with enough of the tea to make a loose dough. Leave a while until there are some bubbles and its visibly risen. This will give the yeast a good start before the fruit and spice gets added.
- add the rest of the flour and tea and mix together, then add the sponge, mix together well and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- throw everything else in and mix well.
- this is best mixed in a K-mix or Kitchenaid with the dough hooks on as is very moist
- Cover and leave for a couple of hours
- knock back and shape into a good size loaf tin
- leave again to prove for another hour, covered
- bake at 180 for 20 mins then cover with foil for another 25
- leave to cool for 30 mins
- Boil a litle water with some caster sugar to form a syrup and paint the entire loaf
- try not to eat the whole thing in one go!!!