Keeps for: 3+ days (refrigerated, in an airtight container)
Total time (start to finish): approx 70 minutes (40 minutes prepration, 30 minutes baking)
- 6 medium apples
- 375g einkorn flour
- 70g chestnut flour
- 2 x 30g Apple & Pear Raw Fruit Bars (sourced from Aldi)
- 35g brown flaxseed (linseed)
- 1 slightly heaped teaspoon bitter apricot kernal powder
- 1000ml water (boiled)
- Cut raw fruit bars into thin strips.
- Grind flaxseed to a powder.
- Wash, core and thinly slice apples, and set aside (cover to prevent oxidisation).
- Combine einkorn flour, chestnut flour, ground flaxseed, bitter apricot kernal powder and raw fruit bar strips in a large (c. 2.5 litre) saucepan.
- Add 2/3 water (boiled) to saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining 1/3 water and again mix thoroughly.
- Place on hob on a medium heat and mix in your sliced apples.
- Reduce heat as mixture thickens (it will start to make some sounds), to avoid sticking to base of pan and spitting.
- Once mixture has thickened, continue to cook on a low heat, stirring every few minutes.
- Cook on hob for a total of 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 175C / 350F for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
- Use 90g peeled, cooked, whole chestnuts, in place of the chestnut flour.
- Include 50g of carob powder, by way of an additional ingredient.