3 good eggs
200g very soft butter
200g white spelt flour (or 50:50 white and wholemeal spelt flour)
6g baking powder
140g maple syrup
1 large cooking apple, or 2 small ones
2 tsp cinnamon
1 heaped tbsp toasted, chopped hazlenuts
- Chop the apple into bitesize chunks and toss in the cinnamon. Keep to one side.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and mix well with the baking powder.
- Add to the flour: the good eggs, the very soft butter and the sweet and lovely maple syrup. Stir lightly until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into a lined 24cm round tin,
- Drop the apple pieces evenly onto the surface of the batter. Scatter with the hazelnuts.
- Bake at 160* fan for 40 mins
This cake is delicious with a morning cup of coffee. It also makes a lovely dessert, either with a blob of virtuous yoghurt or a cascade of squirty cream.