This makes a nutty, flavoursome, well keeping loaf. The recipe makes 2 loaves @ 700g each. Although not essential, the method is spread over 3 days to increase flavour and provide flexibility with “normal” life. Dutch ovens are used for baking, but anything which gives a solid blast of heat and traps steam for the first half of baking would work just as well.
• 126g Canadian strong white bread flour
• 126g organic spelt wholemeal flour
• 196g water
• 406g mature 100% hydration starter
• 350g Canadian strong white bread flour
• 126g water
• 14g salt
• 42g mixed pumpkin and sunflower seeds, toasted
DAY 1 – MAKING LEVAIN
1. Combine all levain ingredients and whisk to form smooth batter. Cover and ferment overnight in fridge/cold room, until bubbly.
DAY 2 – MAKING AND SHAPING DOUGH
2. Add dough flour and water to levain, combine and autolyse for about 30 minutes.
3. Add salt; mix until dough reaches a full gluten development.
4. Mix in seeds
5. Put in low, wide, oiled container. Bulk ferment for 2 hours at about 28c while performing 3 sets of stretch and folds at 30 minute intervals
6. On floured counter, mold lightly into boule; dust lightly with flour; cover and rest for 10 minutes.
7. Mold into final boule shape; place seam-side-up in banneton, cover and partially proof for 1 hour
8. Retard in fridge overnight
DAY 3 – BAKING
9. Pre-heat oven and dutch ovens for about 1 hour at highest setting.
10. Straight from fridge, invert loaves onto peel and score; load into dutch oven; cover with lid.
11. Bake for 30 minutes @ 240c; remove lid and release steam, reduce oven temperature to 220c, bake for further 25 mins
12. To crispen, bake loaves a further 5 mins with oven door ajar until core loaf temperature reaches 96oc.
Added by: Jacky Scott
Good news, we are taking orders again, as normal. Thank you for bearing with us during the challenge of C19 and we look forward to supplying you with our flour in the future.
Important note: Orders containing 10 sacks or more will be delivered by pallet.
Community bakeries and micro-bakeries can call us directly on 01666 505050 to place orders.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers