Pane di Altamura is a bread made with durum wheat from the Altamura region of Provincia di Bari in South East Italy. Made from Semola Rimacinata (re-milled semolina), and is naturally leavened, its characteristics are a thin dark crust with a lovely soft yellow crumb.
500g Re-Milled Semolina Flour (semola rimacinata) (100%)
100g Durum Wheat Starter @ 60% hydration (20%)
10g Salt (2%)
300g Water (60%)
Preparing the starter
3 feeds building a 60% hydration starter each 12 hours apart...
1. 25g starter + 50g durum flour + 25g water
2. 20g starter (from step 1) + 50g durum flour + 30g water
3. 20g starter (from step 2) + 50g durum flour + 30g water
The first build I've taken the starter to be 100% hydration and ended up with a 60% hydration durum wheat starter. Subsequent builds are a straight forward 60% hydration feed. Each build should be 12 hours apart then after the final build has matured proceed onto the method...
1. Autolyse 500g durum flour and 300g warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Sprinkle 10g salt over the dough followed by the starter. Run your hand under the cold tap then squeeze and fold the dough till fully incorporated. Cover the bowl and rest for 10 minutes.
3. Knead for 10 minutes, cover the bowl and rest for 20 minutes then knead for 10 more minutes. Don't overdo it. If you feel the dough begin to tear and needs less kneading then stop. You should end up with a silky smooth dough.
4. Bulk Ferment for up to 6 hours or until the dough has doubled.
5. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured worktop and without knocking out all the gas pre-shape into a round. Bench rest for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes shape again into a boule without de-gassing and bench rest for a further 30 minutes.
[After the 2nd 30 minutes you'd normally shape into the typical Pane di Altamura style loaf. Difficult to explain but there are websites and videos you can watch for this. For the sake of this recipe we'll just stick to scoring]
In the meantime pre-heat your oven to 220C.
7. Now score a triangle onto the dough and bake for 45 minutes - 1hr.
8. Take out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Added by: A BakEr
Due to a temporary suspension of some services by couriers, we are currently unable to offer delivery to the Republic of Ireland, or overseas. This is being looked into urgently, and as soon as services resume we’ll update you here. Deliveries to Northern Ireland can now begin again.
If you live in the Republic of Ireland, please don’t order for the moment, as we are unable to get the order to you.
Keep safe and well
The Shipton Millers